Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Fresh Start


I came to the school and work back from a short Spring Break. I was worry about soy beans that I planted them during spring break because college was closed Thursday through Sunday for Spring Break and I was not able to water them. Fortunately, my Soy Beans grew.

 

I purified DNA of eight different bacteria that are used in the Biosciences department laboratory and run PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) for them during spring break. On Monday, I used Agarose Gel Electrophoresis technique for the separation of bacteria’s DNA fragments.Then, I cultured Agrobacteria in the Brain Heart Infusion, 0.5 ml broth. Brain Heart Infusion (BHI) is a general-purpose liquid medium used in the cultivation of fastidious and nonfastidious microorganisms, including aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, from a variety of clinical and nonclinical materials.(bd.com)


On Tuesday, I set up another gel for bacteria 5-8 because I couldn’t get a good result on Monday. Meanwhile, I started to transfer my soy beans from Vermiculite which is ideal for the germination of seeds to the garden potting soil mix but before that I had to infect my soy beans with Agrobacterium. I didn’t like to infect my Soy beans because I planted and grown them by myself but I didn’t have any choice, I had to do that.  Thus, I choose three soy beans that grown most and infected them in three different ways with a fresh Agrobacterium that I cultured in Brain Heart Infusion broth. For the first soybeans, I cut its stem with a razor blade a little bit then I injected Agrobacterium to that part with a syringe. For the second Soy beans, I injected Agrobacterium directly to the stem with a syringe.

 For the third one, I just mixed Agrobacterium with potting soil around the Soy bean’s stem and place it in the separate plant saucer. For the reason that Agrobacterium that I mixed with soil would go through water and I didn’t want other soy beans observe water that is polluted by Agrobacterium. I’ll monitor my three infected soy beans to see which way of infection would be more effective and accountable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment